Fedora Core 2 available today!

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 12:29:46AM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 11:08:30AM -0400, Matthew Valites wrote:
> > It seems to me that having a 1TB partition may not be the smartest
> > setup.  Ever consider how long that would take to fsck?
>
> It doesn't matter, if you need it.  :)

If you need a terabyte of storage:

case 1: data is important. You use a RAID system with spare hot-swap
disks, and run backups to an off-site location regularly. (Production
systems, vital resources)

case 2: data is unimportant. You use JBOD or simple RAID-striping without
redundancy for speed, and you do a mkfs and reload the data if you run
into any problems. (Data analysis, video editing, DVD/CD servers)

case 3: data is semi-important. You don't use a 1 TB partition; you make
many smaller partitions and the occasional fsck doesn't take too
long. Backups are well-advised.

-dsr-