[blu] Re: Laptop recommendations

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Ed Hill wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:06, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > My wife had a Dell and it was in for repairs about every 3 months --
> > it just plain broke that often.  Perhaps she had a lemon, but I've
>
> I've not been impressed with the workmanship of Dell laptops from
> 2000--2003.  I know a number of people with broken LCD hinges, LCDs that
> look awful because they rub against the keyboard (Inspiron 8x00 series),
> and broken plastic cases.

Remember, Inspirons aren't the only laptops Dell makes. I hate Inspirons.
I hate them with a passion, for all the reasons stated in this thread.
However, Dell Latitudes are the best thing since Sliced bread. They don't
suffer from most of the shortcomings that the Inspirons do, and they are
smaller and lighter. I order them exclusively for work, and have one for
my peronal laptop.

That being said, if you can afford it, go with a Thinkpad, they are the
Rolls Royce of laptops. Dell Latitudes are just really nice Cadillacs.

					~Ben

--
/"\  Ben Jackson
\ /  bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/