Laptop recommendations

I live and die by Thinkpads.  I cannot recommend them enough.
I'm on my third (or fourth) in about 10 years.  They are built
strong, and IBM is fairly Linux-friendly.  Currently I run
a T23 and my wife runs an R40 -- both of us use linux.  Over the
years we've also had an A22m, 600E, 600, 560, 755, and 750.

My wife had a Dell and it was in for repairs about every 3 months --
it just plain broke that often.  Perhaps she had a lemon, but I've
_NEVER_ had a thinkpad die anywhere near that often.  OTOH, I've had
two repair calls on my Thinkpad in the last couple months.  First the
harddrive died, and then the mainboard died.  IBM overnighted me a new
hardrive for the first problem (and I sent them my old one back a week
later), and the mainboard issue was fixed in 4 days.  Both repairs
were free (covered by the Warranty).  Oh, I should add that I beat my
laptops to hell and gone, and the laptop is going to be two years old
in July -- so it lasted 18 months without any issues (and IBM was
quick to handle any issues that arrose).

So, I recommend the thinkpad!

-derek