router recommendations

Jared Michaels wrote:
> My question is not directly related to Linux, although I will be using
> this product with Linux eventually. I'm finally getting DSL and have
> spent the day searching for a good router. I'm split between the Linksys
> WRT54G Wireless-G and the Netgear WGT624 Wireless 802.11G Firewall
> 4-Port Router. I've read mixed reviews for both -- some cite
> intermittent wireless connectivity, poor firewall features and terrible
> tech support, while others say they're dreamy. Does anyone have any
> recommendations for a wireless "g" router with a good firewall (that's
> fairly easy to set up), WPA, pretty good connectivity, compatible with
> Suse linux, and around $150 or less? (Actually, I guess it doesn't have
> to be compatible with linux since I will be setting up the router in
> Windows -- right?).
>
> Thanks, Jared

Hi.  Last year I got the Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 and had problems that could
only be solved with a reset (router didn't hand out dynamic IP addresses
properly).  After I pulled out what little hair I had left, I realized
it was just buggy and everything was cured when I downloaded the updated
software.  Range is great (router/firewall on first floor with no
connection problems with WAP on third floor) and has lots toys (MAC
filtering, 128 bit WEP, port filtering, DMZ,etc).  Haven't used Netgear
so I can't compare.

My major error was trying to get a cute little USB11 to work with Linux.
   What a headache. I gave up and just got a WET11.  An ethernet
connection and no drivers, very easy to use.  You can use the cd on a
windows box to configure it or just find the default ip and configure it
through your browser.  I had never done it before and was surprised at
how easy it was.  This is all 802.11b, but it's still faster than my
comcast connection.  Good luck man.

--
-Eric
http://235u.home.comcast.net/

Right now the record (companies are) trying to figure out how they are
going to keep themselves in cocaine and limousines and starlets and
whatever else those guys do for a living. )B? Los Angeles radio giant Phil
Hendrie