Sasser remediation tale

I bet the system had USB though, 256M+ USB Key's are cheap now.  I
picked one up for $40.  You also could have downloaded
stinger.exe(769,031bytes) from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ cleaned
the system, then did the update.  Depending on the number of windows
boxes on your network, you could go with SMS, or HFNetChk pro from
Shavlik http://hfnetchk.shavlik.com/default.asp It's free for small
networks (10 computers) I'm not sure how much it costs.
It supports all windows lines and is fairly easy to
setup/use.  Its likely much cheaper than SMS.

But, as Derek said, *never* rely on users, they will never do it.  At
the minimal, you should configure windows update to install critical
patches automatically.

-miah