Use of Makefile

> prompt>make -f someothername
>
> Can someone elaborate on an example where invoking
> Make
> by some other name is desirable?
>
> karina

2 instances I can think of.  One is when your version
of make will only find 'Makefile' and not 'makefile'
and you don't feel like renameing it.  Another,
probably more sensible situation is would be for
having a single tarball with makefiles for multiple
distros or OSes.  Makefile.debian, Makefile.RedHat,
Makefile.Netbsd...

There is also the fact that if the option wasn't
there, there would be people needing it left and
right.  In a world where everyone follows the accepted
convetion it's just an extra feature, but this is the
real world, so it comes in handy.

=====
"Whoa what I want to know, how does the song go?"
--The Grateful Dead--

Kindly yours,
Billy S G McCarthy