Windows audio problem

I've seen something similar before a few years ago but I don't remember how I
remedied it...

an idea:
You only mention playing cds as your audio souce. A k6-2 500 is more than fast
enough to play on mp3 or wav file. Do digital audio files produce the static
too or is it only when playing cds? To the best of my knowledge, Windows
beyond a certain version can play cds digitally through the ide cable, rather
than routing the sound through those tiny audio cables that join the sound
card and the cd drive.

If you figure out that digital audio files don't produce the crackle, you
might try playing cds with that tiny audio cable detached, to see if it's
confusing Windows.

--
David Backeberg (dave at microway.com)
Microway Technical Support - http://www.microway.com