Windows audio problem

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:04:53PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> I'm not sure why playing CD audio is so resource intensive on recent
> Windows systems...

[I've heard that it's] because rather than simply telling the sound card
to accept the input from the CD player's analog output and amplify it,
the new default in Windows is to read the raw data, correct it, and run
it through a DSP. Imagine if you needed to use cdparanoia to read all
your audio disks...

-dsr-