Windows audio problem

(Per suggestion of Jerry F., what follows is a description of an audio problem I'm having under Windows XP Home.  Strangely enough, this same problem does not occur under Linux, so I do not believe it is a hardware issue.)

--

I recently upgraded from 98SE to XP Home, and
unfortunately, still have an audio problem.  I do not

Whenever a music CD is played under XP Home, and this is
regardless of which program is used (Windows Media Player
9, RealPlayer, or Nero Media Player), audio will sound
crackled/has static when menus fade in, if a web browser
is open and web pages are scrolled (This goes double when
there is a Flash-based advertisement on the same page,
the static gets worse in this instance.)

The CPU is an AMD K6-2 with 3D Now at 500 MHz, memory is
512 Mb, and the sound card is a Creative SoundBlaster 5.1
Live.  Both the original drivers that installed with XP
Home, and updated drivers from Creative's web site did
not remedy the problem.

Please note that under Windows 98SE on this same
hardware, the same problem occurred, except only under
Windows Media Player 9.  RealPlayer and Nero did not
cause the same under 98SE.

I have checked various settings in both Windows Media and
RealPlayer.  A setting changed in RealPlayer caused the
static to stop, however this resulted in the quality of
the audio to diminish considerably.  Nothing changed in
the Windows Media settings caused the static to stop.

Since the fading-in of menus also cause brief static with
the audio, I disabled this in an attempt to remedy the
problem, however it did not resolve the problem.

As I do not believe this is hardware-related, are there
any settings in XP Home that are not necessary and can be
temporarily disabled to see if that remedies the
problem?  At this point, I am guessing that perhaps XP
Home as installed, is too much of a strain on this
system, which is causing this problem?