learning java

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 09:49, Duane Morin wrote:
> While I'm sure that getting certified is a good way to prove to yourself
> that you've reached a milestone in learning the language, I hope you're
> not investing lots of money.  My company is hiring good Java people as
> fast as we can find them and I can honestly say that certification has not
> made a lick of difference in anybody's situation thus far.   Maybe if you
> want to target some big financial enterprises or something, sure, but
> we're just a small company that wants people that can code (and we're
> gonna ask you the same technical questions whether you claim to be
> certified or not :)).

I disagree. Although, I don't feel that it should make a difference, I
think things like this do count for something. The only real issue is
when a company is trying to get off cheap, then it might be the reason
that you DON'T get hired. Otherwise, I suspect that if you make it to
the final round of interviews, a certificate or degree could be the
deciding factor. If two candidates are equivalent, then I myself would
even pick the person with the paper of the home-brew person. ("the devil
you know").
Grant M.