Double speed sound

Brian J. Conway wrote:
> I too would like to find out what causes this, though my situation might
> not be the same.  I have two relatively similar P4 systems, one with
> Mandrake 9.2, kernel 2.4.26, and emu10k1 audio, the other with Mandrake
> 9.1, kernel 2.4.26, and i810_audio audio.  Both have mpg123 0.59r, xmms
> 1.2.7, and xine 1rc3-c/0.99.1.
>
> With some George Carlin mp3s encoded at 24 kbps and 22 kHz, they play
> perfectly on all three applications on the Mandrake 9.2 system, but play
> at double speed with mpg123 and xmms on the Mandrake 9.1 system, but
> correctly with xine.  Those are the only files I can reproduce it with.
>
> -b
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
> Duane Morin <dmorin at lear.morinfamily.com> wrote:
>

>>I usually don't play mp3s on my laptop but today I fired one up...and
>>discovered that it seems to be playing at rapid speed, like chipmunks.
>>I'm using mplayer, and a whole bunch of sound files experienced the same
>>
>>problem.
>>
>>I think I had this problem once before we exceedingly slow playback, but
>>that didn't seem to last (although I was recompiling at will back then).
>>
>>Anybody know where to look?  I noticed for the first time that it
>>mentions "Using Linux RTC hardware (1024Hz)" which may have always been
>>there, but I never noticed it before.
>>
>>Duane

hi.  wow, such a common problem.  the "answer" i often see is to rebuild
and use oss.  not much consistancy in the answers i found.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2002/03/1/10289
http://linux.box.sk/forum.php?thread=4849&did=multmultimedia

maybe this will help:
1. Start XMMS
     2. Options --> Preferences
     3. Unselect "Disk Writer Plugin" and select "OSS Driver" (or
whatever's applicable).
That's it. I have no idea why a default install would pick sending
output to the hard drive instead of the sound card...
from:  http://mail.asl.bc.ca/~timothy/cgi-bin/FAQlist.pl?strSearch=LINUX

you may already know this but i enjoyed it much;
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue47/ayers.html

-e.

--
"Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price.

eric's playground at http://235u.home.comcast.net/