Double speed sound

I too would like to find out what causes this, though my situation might
not be the same.  I have two relatively similar P4 systems, one with
Mandrake 9.2, kernel 2.4.26, and emu10k1 audio, the other with Mandrake
9.1, kernel 2.4.26, and i810_audio audio.  Both have mpg123 0.59r, xmms
1.2.7, and xine 1rc3-c/0.99.1.

With some George Carlin mp3s encoded at 24 kbps and 22 kHz, they play
perfectly on all three applications on the Mandrake 9.2 system, but play
at double speed with mpg123 and xmms on the Mandrake 9.1 system, but
correctly with xine.  Those are the only files I can reproduce it with.

-b