dual boot with ME failing

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:12:54PM +0000, Kalyan Vaidyanathan wrote:
> Hi,
>  I did boot my windows from a bootable CD and rank fdisk /mbr But
>  now, when I remove the bootable CD and try to restart windows, I
>  get a "missing operating system" message.  Seems like I lost the
>  dual boot and hence cant get into the linux partition (as well as
>  the windows).

Sad Christmas...

>  Is there anything I can do to recover from here?

If David's pointer about flagging the Windows partition doesn't help,
you can do this:

1. Boot linux from the Red Hat 9 CD.
2. type

	linux rescue

   at the prompt after the RH9 CD boots.  It will ask you if you want
   to try to mount an existing Linux installation.  Do that.  IIRC,
   you will next be given either a prompt, or instructions, on how to
   chroot your system to the normal root.  Do that.

3. type

	grub-install

And that should get you going.  I think.  :)

-=-=-=-=-