environment variable

Chris Devers wrote:
> Have you tried reading the error, and setting $JAVA_HOME ? :-)
>
>     $ echo $JAVA_HOME
>     $
>
>     $ export JAVA_HOME="/Library/Java/Home"
>     $
>
>     $ echo $JAVA_HOME
>     /Library/Java/Home
>     $
>
> Make sense?

this looks very cool but unfortunately i have no idea how to use echo in
the way you suggest.  yes i'm lost.

> And why are you messing around in a root shell? Don't have sudo?

point taken.  i go root crazy sometimes when having to change stuff on
my pc.

so here's where i am;

this gave some clues, but no hand holding;
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=JAVA_HOME+jedit&btnG=Google+Search

i think i can either alter the jedit start up script (not quite sure how
to do this properly) and tell it where to look or change my environment
variable to include java.  both give me a sense of frustration.
wouldn't it be better to fix the environment variable in case another
app i may install in the future needs it?
so i peeked at env;

[eric at mathPlayPen eric]$ env
SSH_AGENT_PID=4672
HOSTNAME=mathPlayPen
<snip>
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/eric/bin
</snip>
[eric at mathPlayPen eric]$

so is PATH= where i should see a "JAVA_HOME" reference?

my bash profile looks like this;

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH
unset USERNAME

could i just type in a change to this text file?  if so what is the
"grammar" for lack of a better word, that i should use to add this?

JAVA_HOME=/opt/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/bin
JDK_HOME=$JAVA_HOME
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

if you're bored enough to help, please do not assume that i know
everything you're talking about.  a lot of the links from my google
search gave very cryptic answers that are of little assistance.  i am
able to get jedit to run (it's very cool looking) but it complains about
JAVA_HOME.  again thanks for any suggestions about how to change the
environment variable or another solution that you think is superior.  eric.

p.s.  i will fix this stupid problem by the end of the day no matter
what!  stupid grumble grumble grumble grumble...