postfix + tls

SSL can operate over 25/tcp, but the user has to issue a STARTTLS command.  I'm betting here that the host he's telnet'ing from isnt resolving and he's got postfix setup to not work with hosts that dont resolve, or some other issue thats not related to SSL/SASL.  The only reason you need to run SMTP over SSL (as with 465/tcp) is for broken clients that don't issue a STARTTLS (like older versions of outlook), these clients try to establish a ssl connection to the host and then issue smtp commands.

-miah