Hiring a (primarily) Linux geek.

We prefer folks with a broad base of experience and sound
decision-making skills. Feel free to ask me questions before
applying.

-dsr-

----

Smartleaf, Inc., a pioneer in overlay management software for financial
firms, has an opening for a Systems Administrator, approximately SAGE Level
III.  The ideal candidate will have strong hands-on experience in system
administration and strengths in several areas that complement our current
staff.

The sysadmin shares operational responsibility for production at our AT&T
co-located data center and IT at our Cambridge HQ, working with existing
operations and development staff. The major requirements are:

* maintain existing & build new internal & colo networks
    - experience with a wide range of network devices including routers,
      switches and firewalls
    - maintain mail server, print servers, samba file repositories, and user
      workstations (both Linux and Wintel)
* maintain existing & build new platforms for development, test, and
production:
    - Linux  (currently migrating Red Hat -> SuSE)
    - Oracle 8.1 administration / install / backup / restore
    - work on systems installation and configuration automation
    - Apache experience a must; Perl is helpful.
* design, build and manage continuity, security, integrity, disaster
recovery
    - backups
    - annual DR test per security plan
    - build and execute procedures for all level of outages
* support customer deployment (integration) as needed
* document and diagram all work
* engage in relevant project planning, budgeting, and resource management
* late morning/early afternoon start time
* share on-call rotation

Systems we currently use:

VPNs, MTAs, DNS, web servers, Perl, C++, Cisco, network monitoring systems,
CIFS, rsync, cvs.

Questions to ponder before applying:

 - When is it better to install from source than from a binary package?
 - When is it better the other way around?
 - How do you keep software versions and configurations consistent while
providing a fairly modern environment?
 - What needs to be monitored? How?

Please send resumes to jobs at smartleaf.com. No phone calls.