rsync/ssh passwords

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 17:47, John Chambers wrote:

> Yeah; I did that a few years ago, and I can see them sitting there in
> my .ssh directory. Their access time gets updated when I use ssh. But
> I'm still asways asked for passwords, sometimes  for  the  near  end;
> sometimes for the far end.  If I don't respond in time, the operation
> times out, and my script goes on to the next host.
>
> It is supposed to work differently than this? It doesn't seem wise to
> let  the  operation  proceed without demanding a password, since that
> would mean that anyone who walked up to my  machine  while  I'm  away
> could pass as me.

There are two key parts involved: the secret key and the public key.
ssh-agent stores the decrypted secret key in memory, and prints a
three-line script to set a couple env variables. The ssh client,
if it has source'd that script, can then get to the decrypted secret
key.

When the client tries to connect to the remote server, the remote
server needs to have the corresponding public key in the file
~/.ssh/authorized_keys. Also, if the ~/.ssh directory or the files
in it have insecure permissions, they'll be ignored. I set my ~/.ssh
to 0700 and the files within to 0600, on both ends.

Also, in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server, the setting for the
"PubkeyAuthentication" option must be "yes". I believe this is the
default now, but I recall having to explicitly set it years ago,
so it's probably worth checking it on your servers just to be sure.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9