rsync/ssh passwords

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 11:34, John Chambers wrote:

> I've been using rsync to backup/mirror files on several machines.   I
> usually  call  rsync from any of several scripts, which does the same
> command with different hostnames.  I use ssh
>
> The problem is that, after it's churned for a while copying files  to
> or  from host1, it proceeds to host2, which then asks for a password.
> Usually I'm looking at some other  window  at  the  time,  and  don't
> notice  for a while that the rsync window wants another password.  By
> the time I notice it, host2 has already times out the  operation.   I
> don't  see  any clue of this, of course, so I type the password - and
> get an error message. That part of the rsyc process has now bombed.

I use a DSA key. I start ssh-agent with its output redirected into
a file with chmod 0600, and then source that file from any shell
scripts that need it. I find it works great for cron jobs that need
to use ssh.

I basically start that instance of ssh-agent by hand whenever I have
to reboot the machine, and then leave it running until the next reboot.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9