'The man who wants to take your jobs'

John Chambers wrote:

> Similarly, a small number of humans will probably always be needed to
> keep the economy running. But it may well stabilize at a rather small
> percent of the population.  What will  happen  to  the  rest  of  the
> population is yet to be seen.

See http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Jobless_future.html for a
critique, with some hard statistics, of the "end of work" idea.  Key
statistical point: The productivity of labor grew by about 1%/year over
the 1990s, compared with about 2.5%/year during the 1960s.  The
productivity of capital has been falling over the same period.  Key
political point: if enough workers *believe* that all these jobs are
vanishing for good, employers have a lot more power to demand wage
concessions.

According to mainstream economic theory, the unemployment rate is
primarily determined by the prevailing interest rate, which is primarily
set by central banks like the Federal Reserve.  If interest rates are
low, then more people will have an incentive to move their money into
higher-risk investments, like the stock market, and companies that are
more flush with capital are more likely to hire people.  If interest
rates are high, then more people will have an incentive to move their
money into T-bills, and capital-starved companies will have to lay
people off.

(Please note that this model says nothing about *how much people will be
paid* once they *are* employed.)

Of course, capital-flush companies can use their money to hire workers
outside the US ... but they have to pay the foreign contrators in US
dollars (or some other dollar-denominated securities).  If there's no
demand abroad for a US export that can be bought with those dollars,
what good are they?

I suspect that if the offshoring trend has a growing effect on the
economy as a whole (as opposed to being a passing fad, or something that
a sensible government can counteract with things like targeded
job-training programs), the government will simply push down the value
of the dollar relative to other currencies.