Resolution change on monitor close

Ok, here's my latest config problem.  This is a new one.  My LCD, I'm
told, runs optimally at 1400x1050, which I am using.  When I close the lid
and reopen it (immediately, even -- not waiting for a suspend or any other
screen blanking event) it comes back in 700x1050 mode - so "centered"
boxes are now split down the righthand side, but the bottom nav bar is
still in place.  I fire up the screen resolution application, reset to
1400x1050, and it's back to normal.  it's worth noting that the screen res
app still thinks it is in 1400x1050 mode -- if i run the cursor off the
right side of the screen it disappears as if I have a virtual workspace
(though I can't seem to get it to scroll).

I suspect this has something to do with APM power management, which I just
switched to over ACPI because I was getting random hangs I could not
account for.  Can anybody draw me a stronger connection than that?

Duane