OT: American job skills & offshoring

Bob George <mailings02 at ttlexceeded.com> wrote:
> I've since moved, and the lab has been offline since June, 2003. I've
> accumulated more routers, and am trying to open it up again. However,
> given my increased awareness of offshoring, I'm torn between wanting to
> give access without conditions, or possibly limiting access to US
> nationals. I don't have any answers yet. (Moving briefly on-topic, I
> could use pointers to some code to determine country of origin for an IP
> address.)

Have you considered granting access openly but asking for a commitment
to doing some pro bono _community_ network development?  This might
encourage Indian versions of, say, NewburyOpenNet...

> And finally: Would anybody on this list find any use in access to such a
> lab?

Yes, I certainly would.

Bob Leigh	bobleigh at twomeeps.com
    "Do you have any children?"
    "No, we have teddy bears.  They're quiet, and we can leave them alone
     for the weekend without DSS being called."