OT: American job skills & offshoring

I've been enjoying the "offshoring" discussion. I just wanted to add
some observations I had on the "job skills" thread in these post-dot-com
years.

After joining a hi-tech outfit in 2001, I made an investment (>$7K) in
some Cisco equipment to hone my skills. After getting my certifications,
I found my self with some (then) expensive equipment that was gathering
dust. I decided to contribute back in the form of an open Cisco
self-study lab. I put my little pod of routers up on the 'net, complete
with web pages and remote access under Linux control. I assumed there
would be others like myself who were hungry to develop their skills, but
might be lacking the resources to purchase equipment. I also set up a
distributed BGP routing lab (Cisco + Zebra) with a couple of other guys,
linking our pods into a larger collective.

After mentioning it on a couple of lists, traffic started to pick up. At
first, I didn't think much of the fact that the vast majority of
visitors were from overseas. Well over half were from India and
Pakistan, but I had visitors from locations as diverse as Europe and
Africa as well. I assumed these were people bent on bettering themselves
to be competitive in their local markets. It was only after several
months that it dawned on me that many of them were angling for jobs with
outsourcing outfits or H1B visas. One fellow IM'ed to proudly announce
he had landed a job doing tech support for Gateway, then proceeded to
ask me a number of Windows troubleshooting questions. I routinely
fielded questions about how to get into American universities, and where
to find work.

For the most part, the foreigners were self-starters, and thanked me and
proceeded to beat on the gear at all hours. By contrast, the relatively
few Americans that visited tended to be Cisco Academy kids chasing
high-school credit for entry-level certs. Some who were out to develop
skills for job advancement spent as much time chiding me for not making
the interface more user-friendly (Cisco's IOS is NOT), or for not
developing an elaborate reservation system so they could block out
equipment and not risk equipment being in use when it was convenient for
them.

This isn't as much a commentary on the state of the Amerian technical
workforce as on how aggressively and methodically the foreigners jumped
in and exploited an opportunity that I'd (unwittingly) provided to go
after such jobs.

I've since moved, and the lab has been offline since June, 2003. I've
accumulated more routers, and am trying to open it up again. However,
given my increased awareness of offshoring, I'm torn between wanting to
give access without conditions, or possibly limiting access to US
nationals. I don't have any answers yet. (Moving briefly on-topic, I
could use pointers to some code to determine country of origin for an IP
address.)

Am I undermining my fellow Citizens by allowing access to all? (I
considered a modified user agreement damning the visitor to starvation
and misery if the skills were used to land jobs displacing American
workers, but that doesn't see right.) Is this an issue with open source
and similar initiatives in general? Witness India and China making
aggressive strides towards "non-American" software based on open source.
Or is this just the reality of where things are heading, and warning to
KEEP looking for the next valuable skill set?

And finally: Would anybody on this list find any use in access to such a
lab?

- Bob
   Only questions, no answers