Cold War Trojan

John Chambers wrote:

> | On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, D.E. Chadbourne wrote:
> |
> | > hi
> | > thought this looked neat,
> | >
> | > Explosive Cold War Trojan has lessons for Open Source exporters
> | >
> | > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/36270.html
> |
> | This story about US sabotage of Soviet pipelines has been rather
> | thoroughly debunked.
>
> So where has it been debunked?  It certainly sounds like  a
> PR  story,  but  that  doesn't  necessarily make it true or
> false.  And it is a bit odd for something like this  to  be
> released  that  will  likely  have  a  negative  impact  on
> software sales by American companies (if  it's  noticed  at
> all by people making purchase decisions).

hi again.  i agree.  i searched but no debunking has appeared.  i'm not
sure what i like more, us (USA) cracking (guess it's ok for god and
country?) or the story being debunked.  tell the group if anybody finds
any real evidence the story isn't true.  here's a couple semi
interesting links;
http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php3?threadid=65843&goto=nextnewest
http://www.claremont.org/weblog/001079.html

then there's this (you got to sign in...  ugghhh) this article is much
more interesting that the other two!
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/022704dnintsoviet.adecd.html

here's a quote;
"Thomas Reed, a former Air Force secretary who was serving in the
National Security Council at the time, describes the episode in At the
Abyss: An Insider's History of the Cold War, to be published next month
by Ballantine Books. Mr. Reed writes that the pipeline explosion in
Siberia was just one example of "cold-eyed economic warfare" against the
Soviet Union that the CIA carried out under William Casey during the
final years of the Cold War." ...  "While there were no physical
casualties from the pipeline explosion, there was significant damage to
the Soviet economy," he writes. "Its ultimate bankruptcy, not a bloody
battle or nuclear exchange, is what brought the Cold War to an end. In
time, the Soviets came to understand that they had been stealing bogus
technology, but now what were they to do? By implication, every cell of
the Soviet leviathan might be infected. They had no way of knowing which
equipment was sound, which was bogus. All was suspect, which was the
intended endgame for the entire operation."

so far i think that the story appears to be true.
-eric

--
It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that.