List Archive (Was: Re: p2p, anonymity and security)

On Mar 12, 2004, at 2:47 PM, Rich Braun wrote:

> Derek Martin wrote:
>> I would prefer that the archives were available, but with e-mail
>> addresses removed...
>
> I like having the address posted.  Every now and then I get a legit
> email from
> someone who saw one of my postings to the list.  They can then get
> help from
> me.  That's what the Internet was all about, years ago.  Even today,
> the #1
> most popular application of the 'net is email (even if you subtract
> out those
> for whom it's popular solely because they can transmit noise).

I agree, I've gotten quite a few emails this way, and I'm always happy
to receive these out of the blue emails. Besides, frankly, the spammers
already have your address, and seriously, if you have to filter 180
messages a day, how much harder is it to filter 225?

> Since December, my daily spam flow has gone up from about 180/day to
> about
> 225/day.  Can-Spam legislation hasn't done diddly to slow down the
> exponential
> increase which started about 3 years ago.

I've been using Apple's Mail.app spam filtering with great success,
never a false positive and only a few false negatives each day. I think
it uses bayesian filtering. I'd recommend looking for a bayesian filter
for your platform if you can.

--
Please avoid sending me Word or other Office attachments.