When X does....nothing.

Duane Morin writes:

| Here's some interesting new information I just discovered last night when
| I was home without a net connection.  X works just fine.  When I came into
| work this morning and eth0 came up, it went back to doing its hang thing.
| So Gnome must be trying to do something over the net before it starts up?
| Something that it can't do in a short period of time?

Hmmm ... Maybe you can get a clue by switching to a different desktop
(CTL-ALT-F1 or such), logging in, and running "netstat -a|grep ^tcp".
If Gnome has a Net connection, you should see its  address,  and  you
can ask why it would be connecting to that machine. Maybe the address
or hostname of the other end can be found in some config file.

Or maybe someone has snuck a bit of spyware into your Gnome ...