Print sharing

Alaric wrote:

>lpr: unable to print file: client-error-document-format-not-supported

from my howto on linux network printing:
http://freephile.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=HowToNetworkPrinting

    Ready to Print?

At this point I was excited. I thought I had achieved the holy grail of
network print serving on my home network. However, when I opened a
webpage and tried to print it, I saw the led lights on the hub go wild
but the printer just sat there. Clearly Samba was allowing me access to
the printer across the network, and there was no firewall in the middle.
The CUPS web interface showed no print jobs in process or queued. So, I
took a look at the CUPS error logs to find out what was happening.
cat /var/log/samba/freedom.log
"Unable to print file to Lex22 -
client-error-document-format-not-supported"
According to a search on Google, and from what I learned in reading the
book, I suspected that the printing process was not delivering an
acceptable format to CUPS. To print from a Windows client, you need to
allow 'raw printing' so that CUPS doesn't do any processing of the data
sent to the printer. The local print driver is already doing all the
work on the Windows Client machine. So, you need to edit the last
section in two files in the cups directory of your Linux
<http://freephile.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Linux> machine:
vi /etc/cups/mime.types
vi /etc/cups/mime.convs
Uncomment the 'application/octet-stream' lines to allow raw printing.

I restarted the cupsd daemon from the services control panel in RH
Linux. The equivalent konsole command line would be
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart

-Greg

--
FREePHILE