Need some email/colo service -- recommedations?

> ISP -- connection to internet.

are all 6 people in one location (one office)? If so, look at
some of the business DSL lines.

> Email
> Storage for offsite backup.  40 gigs would last a long time.
> Maybe space for a web site.

If you are on a bare-bones budget: I have had so far good experience
with Valueweb.com dedicated server ($60/Month... 60 GByte disk...).
The machines are very basic (Athlon Duron CPUs and the like), but
will probably work well for you.

However, this will require that you administer the machine yourself.
I would recommend a dedicated machine vs. a shared system just due
to security (in particular given the Valueweb pricing).

> Ideally, I'm looking for all this in one package -- an ISP who will
> lease us a relatively small machine, at his site, with eg a 40 G
> drive, who will provide and administer a few email accounts.
> Locally, we'd use a web-based or POP interface (Outlook Express? <gag cough>)

Another option: With most business DSL lines, you get some basic
e-mail and web space (however, usually much less then 40 GByte).

> I understand the ISP provider and the other services can be separated
> but the fewer people to deal with, the better so my first choice is to combine them.
>
> My goal is to not have to concern myself with this stuff --
> that the ISP or co-lo provider manages the system.  I'll have plenty
> else to do.

sound attitude. Talk to your linux people ans see if they feel
up to managing a server. One caveat: Don't have them talk you into
hosting Web/E-mail in house. Bandwidth is expensive if you buy it
"retail". Colocation bandwidth is much cheaper, usually easily making up
for the hardware cost and 'rent'. In additions, while it may
cost you, its easier to call up a Colo facility at 2 am in the moring
to reboot/fix a server vs. having to drive into the office.

(expensive: $250 for a decent SDSL line, $1,000 for a T1 with
local loop charge...)

phone: (617) 837 2807                          jullrich at sans.org