Verizon DSL vs Comcast Cable

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Dwight A. Ernest wrote:

> Mike Gorse wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> >

> >>In Newton, we were one of the first communities to get cable modem
> >>service from Contiental Cablevision. While in the past I've had some
> >>outages, the past couple of years the service has been rock solid. I
> >>consistently get 3+Mbps.
> >>

> > Contiental Cablevision?  I haven't ever heard of them.  How much do they
> > charge?
>
> I'm pretty sure that CC sold out most, if not all of their holdings to
> Charter Communications (a Wired World/Paul Allen holding).
>
> I googled a bit and found this, which sheds some light (though it's five
> years old): http://news.com.com/2100-1033-222097.html?legacy=cnet

A groups.google.com search of "continental cablevision" massachusetts
also can help reveal dialog and timeslines, with respect to posting dates.

Looks like Continental was around from at least the early 90's (I grew up
in Brookline, former Cablevision of Boston/Brookline-land) through the end
of the 90's, when the posts trail off.

Now most of the state is serviced by Comcast, except for pockets, such as
a few communities in Western Mass who have Adelphia, among possibly
others.

Scott