Verizon DSL vs Comcast Cable

David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:

> No, but they did recently DOUBLE my upstream and downstream speed for free.  I
> have about 1.5Mbs down now.  If you can consistently get that kind of speed
> out of your cablemodem you are exceptionally lucky.

So did RCN, from 1 to 3Mbps, and you can pay an extra $10/mo for
5Mbps.  And yes, I can consistently get this speed to well-connected
sites.  No, I don't think I'm lucky -- I think other RCN customers
(nowadays) see this, too.

> I moved away from cablemodem and to SpeakEasy because (1) I wanted a static IP
> address (I have two now), (2) I wanted an ISP that not only permits servers,
> but actively supports Linux (both the community and users who have it), and
> (3) my area got cablemodem long enough ago that we have crappy hardware and I
> couldn't get speeds anywhere near 2-3Mbs downstream on a regular basis.

How long ago?  The last 12-24 months have been very different (and
significantly better) than the previous 3-5 years.

> But it's been such a pleasure to call first-line tech support and talk about
> Linux with them.  When I had a cablemodem, and I would call up to complain
> that my system was no longer listed in their DNS server so nobody could talk
> to my computer, they told me to reboot my computer.  Just a little different
> at SpeakEasy.  Sure you can get that level of knowledge from the "guy with a
> rack of hardware in his basement" ISP's but you never know when they'll go
> under.

I will admit that RCN's tech support leaves much to be desired...
OTOH I don't care much about DNS service via them, just raw bits.

> Again, using cable for your TV is a separate issue from how you get your
> internet connection. I have cable TV and DSL for internet.

Sure, but I pay less by having the bundled services.

-derek