Milestone success with PVR250 (ivtv)

"David J. C. Beach" <beach at verinet.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 13:33, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> I don't know... I've never seen recordings that high..  I record
>> my NTSC at 720x480 and my PVR gives me 3-4GB recordings all the
>> time.  Perhaps it's your compression settings?
>
> I've been using MythTV for several months now, and have built a
> dedicated PVR system around it, based on a Celeron 2.4GHz with 512MB
> RAM.

I've built a dedicated machine around an Athlon-XP 2600+, 512MB, 200GB.
It works great.

> I use the software MPEG-4 encoding and I'm getting approximately 1-2 GB
> per 1 hour of recoring.  I used to use RT jpeg, but I found it to be too
> wasteful.  I'm having some definite recording quality issues, but feel
> that this may be the fault of the capture cart (a cheap Wonder VE).

I just stay with mpeg2.  Yea, it uses more disk space, but the quality
is excellent.

> Is the PVR250/350 the "way to go" on capture cards?

IMHO, yes.  Note that in order to use the -350 you MUST store
in MPEG2.  You cannot play out MPEG4 or RTjpeg out the -350 output.
However, the load of myth using the -350 is nearly zero!  It's
spending all it's time on I/O, the CPU isn't doing anything.

I would highly recommend the PVR-x50 cards...  If you can afford them.

> Dave

-derek