Microsoft Sits on Security Flaw for Six Months

What can we do as a Free Software community to take this opportunity to
offer the many fine alternatives?

I would expect a full-court press from the likes of RedHat, IBM and
Novell, but it seems to me that the press in general has yet to become
aquainted with the viability of Debian/RedHat/Suse/Knoppix/whatever as a
way to get off this never-ending train wreck called Microsoft.

I would urge all of us to take a very professional position that (insert
your favorite solution) is a great way to instill a higher level of
security and freedom into personal and business computing environments.
The real key here is how long it took Microsoft to respond to this
critical threat (leaving customers out to dry for six months) while
security issues in the Free Software world are fixed by a world-wide
team of developers, often literally overnight.

If you have press contacts, or business contacts, or a website, you may
want to take a moment to advocate for Free Software in the face of this
security debacle.  As a society, we can't afford to have our electric
utilities, government and business systems at risk of these persistent
perils that are inherent in proprietary software.

- Greg