orkut infrastructure, was Re: BLU Orkut Community

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Zack Cerza wrote:

> I've created a BLU Community on Orkut. I hope to see a few of you join
> up. If you need an invite, speak or forever hold your peace.

"Go us" :)

Is anyone else stuck by Orkut's distinct lack of stablity? For a service
supposedly run by Google, they seem to be very buggy & have lots of down
time.

Is it because the site is written in ASP, uses .NET, and runs on top of
IIS, whereas the rest of Google seems to be some kind of custom server
running on their farm of Linux machines?

Or is it just that they've grown faster than expected, in the style of
"amihotornot.com" a couple of years ago?

It would be interesting, as a case study, to know what seems to be causing
the problems. Bad tools? Beta code? Strangled by success? Something else?

Hmm....

--
Chris Devers