Help finding device...

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 06:04, Derek Martin wrote:

> In case this was not clear from my previous post, the point of this is
> to allow multiple applications to access the sound hardware at the
> same time, which is normally not possible on Linux.  This is why we
> have esd and artsd.

This isn't quite accurate.

Multiple accesses of the same audio device is supported under linux.
It's just not supported with all hardware, and is not supported with all
drivers.

My onboard audio (VIA82xx) does not support multiple accesses, where my
Soundblaster live card (emu10k1) does.  There are also some cases where
the OSS driver does support multiple access while ALSA does not due to
it not being implemented yet in a specific driver.

Greg