Help finding device...

Turns out it was the Window manager (KDE, among others) which present a
pre-screen of services starting.  One of those services was attacking the
audio device.

I've since switched to fvwm95, no services to get in the way of the audio,
and all is now working fine.

Thanks for the good testing steps.   I'll hold onto them.  I've also
learned a lot about the difference beteween lspci and dmesg.

Scott