multilanguage support

Hi There
I haven't be able to do that from terminal either.
Perhaps this is a question for BJLUG (Boston Japanese Linux Users Group
<http://www.bjlug.org/> ).

Just a thought...
have you try doing something like

     kinput2 -canna &
     export LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
     export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
     export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'
     emacs

You may or may not be able to use kanji-input (kinput) method over ssh.
As I said I have not tried it myself...

Daigo Fujiwara