no habla bash muy bien...

A developer nor a programmer am I, but I enjoy following these
conversations.

One of my friends is a programmer, and once you guys had thoroughly confused
me with your shell-scripting trickery I bounced the original
problem/question over to him for some clarification.  In his response to me
he states that his solution should work, or he will eat a hat.  I would take
great pleasure in seeing him eat a hat, so here I submit his solution (with
his permission) for your collective consideration.

++++++++
The real answer to this is:
"Write a freaking Perl script to do this, you idiot".
Having a bash environment variable be set by piping a sed script to an awk
script is just sooooo eighties...
Anyway, if he really wants to do this.  I can surmise that he has a config
file with lines of the form:

param=value

And his little bash assignment will look in that config file for a certain
param (separating out comment lines, of course) and stick the 'value' into
the environment variable result.
SO...provided that is what this guy is intending to do, I will eat my hat if
this doesn't work on a properly configured system in a bash
shell:

RESULT=`sed -e s/#.*// $CONFIG_FILE | awk -F= '/'$PARAM'/ { print $2 }'`

Let me know if it doesn't....but also let him know that he should use Perl.
+++++++++

Thanks, and later.

STL