multilanguage support

So, to turn my focus to something more directly Linux-related...

These days, as many of you know, I'm living in South Korea.  Hence, I
have a more-than-occasional need to read and type Korean.  Support for
multiple languages at the same time has tended to be spotty at best,
even in such recent and "polished" distros as RH9 (I'll ignore for the
moment any arguments about how polished or how hated RH is).

Things have gotten a lot better with some distros using Unicode by
default.  However, as anyone with the need to do so has discovered,
Red Hat still falls short in that department.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know how the (obviously not stable)
releases of Debian fare in that category?  FWIW, if you don't
occasionally use one of the Asian languages, then it's fairly likely
that your answer will not be very useful to me.  European languages
are mostly similar enough that one can get by with only occasional
headaches, even if things aren't really working properly...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/