Windows or Linux for parents' PC?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:11:42AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I am now thinking of giving them Linux

I put my mother-in-law on a Linux box recently, and she is quite happy
with it.  This is, however, her first computer and so she is not
looking for Windows, isn't addicted to specific MS IE sites, etc.

This is a different circumstance from your patents, but it is an
encouraging success story.

> The PC is a genuine Intel board with an 800 Mhz P3 and 128 Meg RAM.

Put more RAM in there if it will fit, RAM is cheap these days.  I have
192 MB on my notebook and it strains under these heavy graphical
environments.  I have 256 MB in a different computer at home and it
seems to do much better.  For good measure I put 512 MB in my
mother-in-law's computer.

-kb