Windows or Linux for parents' PC?

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 07:11, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> What WMP options are there for Linux?

The issue isn't so much the media player as finding supported codecs.  I
personally use mplayer, but there's also totem, xine, gstreamer, among
others I'm sure.

> I'd most likely be installing debian.

Ahh - this I can help with.  I have an extra repository that has a lot
of multimedia and codec debs.  Add the following to your apt sources:

# Unofficial
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main

A couple of the packages you'll probably be interested in:

mplayer
totem (gnome movie player)
xine
gstreamer

Codecs:
search on divx - there's several packages
libavifile
libavcodec1
w32codecs (many windows codecs)

I'm sure there's more, it's worth playing with apt-cache search once you
add the repository.

--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
 lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com