Low-power Linux-based CPU PC?

I would like to have a Linux/Windows-capable PC running at home 24/7 which
would also be connected to my Linksys broadband router, which, in turn, is
connected to my cable modem.  The catch, though, is I don't want to spend
the extra money for electricity a desktop PC would consume in power.
Thus, I was thinking of a cheap Crusoe, Intel, or AMD box which would
consume very few amps, and could possibly be fully powered from a 12 v DC
source (I have a regulated DC power supply at home).

A few years ago, I worked part time at a small company when an employee
brought in a modular, handheld Intel-based PC, CPU-only.   It had all
needed ports - for video, mouse, keyboard, etc.  I presume it could have
been DC-power capable, but I forget the company that made it.

The solution would need Ethernet capability, or at least a PCMCIA slot.  I
have an Ethernet PCMCIA card.

Thanks for any leads.

Scott