plain 2.4.24 kernel / RedHat ES 3

It could be the Native Posix Thread Library (NPTL) patches.  I'm not
sure how a glibc compiled with NPTL deal with an unpatched kernel.  You
might be able to grab that patch itself from the kernel src.rpm file,
and just apply NPTL support from the enterprise kernel.

I'm not sure how cleanly it would apply though.