Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:45:38 -0500
From: Alan Danziger <aland at aland.us>
To: Scott Ehrlich <scott at ehrlichtronics.com>
Subject: Re: [BBLISA] Re: Questions about your web hosting plans (fwd)

Slightly non-trivial, but you can port-forward from your local machine
to Pair.

This is done by installing a SSH program on your local machine (either
a commercial one such as F-Secure or SecureCRT (which is what I use -
www.vandyke.com), or a free SSH such as the one in the Cygwin package
(www.cygwin.com).

Then you tell your laptop to connect to Pair, tunneling port 110 (pop)
or 143 (IMAP), and port 25 (SendMail).

The command would look like this:

ssh user at machine.pair.com -L 25:mail.pair.com:25 -L \
  110:mail.pair.com:110 -L 143:mail.pair.com:143

Then you configure your mail app to connect to localhost (127.0.0.1).
Once you run the SSH command above, and connect to any of those ports
on your local machine, the connection will be encrypted and tunneled
from your local machine to 'machine.pair.com'.  The connection will be
in clear-text from 'machine.pair.com' to 'mail.pair.com' but _I_ was
pretty confident that the security of the switched network within Pair
would be sufficient...

Feel free to quote/summarize to the group, if desired.

     -=Alan