Problems loading custom-compiled kernel via Grub

I actually tried something similar - root=/dev/sda1
which is my / partition (no separate /boot).
I got a similar error, this time referencing /dev/sda1 instead of LABEL=/.
I may be able to try Dan Barrett's suggestion about the stripped-down config
file.
 -Don