Problems loading custom-compiled kernel via Grub

In preparation for upgrading my wife's laptop kernel for better device
support, I'm testing my first custom kernel compile.  As far as I can tell,
I've managed to configure it, compile and install modules, and compile the
kernel itself.  The problem is in the Grub loader.

I'd previously run v2.4.20-20, which is what I fall back upon to make any
changes to config files, etc.  I'm trying to load v2.4.23.  This is a RH9
distro, which I'm told may (or may not) have some custom stuff built in
regarding kernel load.  Here's the error I get when loading the new kernel:

VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

(actually, now I don't get ANYTHING - it hangs on "GRUB Loading stage2..")

...and here's the grub.conf:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Custom-Compiled Linux (2.4.23)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=793
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.23.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-27.9)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-24.9)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-24.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

The only thing I've found via Google is the suggestion that replacing
"=LABEL=/" with the drive device designation should help.  It doesn't.  I've
tried root=sda, sda1, sda0, with no change.

I suspect I'll wipe the thing and start again from scratch; I'd like to get
this down before I start on a machine that is actually *used*.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated...
Thanks,
 -Don