Redhat 7.x and 8.x sunset

<INFO> Progeny is offering updates for Red Hat after RH's EOL starting
January 1 for 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0.  They'll start 9.0 updates on May 1
according to their web site: http://www.progeny.com.  And for pretty
much the same price as RHN. </INFO>

<RAMBLING>
I, too, feel a bit seduced and abandoned by Red Hat.  The thing that
bothers me is that they talked a good game about Desktops about a year
ago with RH8.0 and then they switched tacks after their Enterprise
offerings started getting some traction.  On the other hand, I do see
what they're up against.  I think desktops and servers are two different
products from a support and integration standpoint and I'm not sure any
company is in a position to do both for the long term.  RH has cast
their lot with the server side to maximize their investment.  Right now
the money is on the server side working with ISVs like Oracle and
Veritas to take share away from the traditional Unix vendors like SUN.
Maybe we're mad because they did both jobs so well we got complacent and
took the work they did for granted.  I don't think getting agitated and
switching immediately to another distribution is going to help.  Red Hat
9 may still be the all around best distribution for a few months for
many people.

I'll stick with RH9 for the time being for my own "production" work
while I experiment with new distros and I think I'd recommend one of Red
Hat's offerings to businesses that want servers with support.  They
should be able to afford it.

I'm playing a bit with Suse 9.0 and will try out others in the next few
months.  I find Suse a bit quirky but I figure its part of the learning
curve.  I fully expect the Novell/Suse/Ximian combination to create a
smooth desktop that will scale to the enterprise.  (Red Carpet is the
sleeper application/service here.)  There is probably a new KDE-centric
distribution that will emerge (sorry about the pun) if the NSX desktop
tilts toward GNOME.

A good commercially successful desktop may be a ways off. :-(  I'm not
saying that good desktops aren't available, just that no one has figured
out how to make them successful commercially.  And when one emerges
we'll bitch about it being Gnome- or KDE- based depending on our
biases.  Scaling them out and support to hundreds of users requires a
different kind of thought and support process (including re-training
Windows weenies).  Maybe Sun knows how with the Java Desktop?  And Santa
Claus is bringing me a nice new job tomorrow. :-)
</RAMBLING>

Oh, and Merry Seasonal Holiday everyone!

--
Grant Young <granty at bellatlantic.net>