AARRRRGH!!! (was RE: Linux Install error)

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 11:00, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> Don Levey wrote:
> >
> >>That could be it. Also, you will be better off when you have the 2
> >>disks as masters on separate IDE channels. It appears that you have a
> >>master/slave (Note that in California, it is now illegal to use those
> >>terms).
> >>

> > Well, then California can arrest me...
> > If I put the disks on separate channels, that would mean I'd put the CD
> > drive(s) as slaves on each channel.  I assume this will be OK?
>
> Yes, it's fine. I consider that the preferred configuration for a system
> with 4 drives and only two IDE controllers, though the cabling can be
> tricky. It is frequently the case that the space between the connectors
> for the master and slave drives is too small to accomodate having one in
> a 5.25" bay and the other in a 3.5" bay; it depends on the design of
> your cables and your computer case.

Be very wary with this configuration if you often use the CD-ROM drives
and have any bad media.  Read problems on a messed up CD-ROM can cause
the entire IDE bus to reset, which can cause hangs for the hard drive on
the other channel.

Usually not too major of a problem, but it might cause you issues the
hard drive is in heavy use at the time.

--
Gregory Boyce <gboyce at badbelly.com>