cheap SCSI enclosure?

Seth Gordon wrote:
> My wife's employer has officially "deactivated" her old desktop machine,
> a 400-MHz Macintosh G4 with 1 GB of RAM.  I am tempted to use this for a
> new server, instead of going out and buying a new Intel box.
>
> One catch: I want to attach a few SCSI drives to my new machine to do
> RAID on it.  For fifty bucks, I can get a four-pack of 47-GB SCSI
> Ultra/Wide drives
> (http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_hd_ST446442W4.html), but these are
> full-height 5.25" drives -- I'm not sure I can even fit one of them
> inside the G4's case.  So if I get the G4 and the drives, I'll need an
> external SCSI enclosure.
>
> Can anyone recommend a source for reasonably-priced enclosures? Googling
> turns up a lot of sites selling U160 or U320 enclosures, which is more
> than I need; the only brand that *seems* appropriate for this kind of
> drive is Manhattan (http://www.netcables.com/item_view.cfm?id=163392).

If you're on a budget, buy an old full-height tower computer case
(typically available for next to nothing at flea markets, though you
might have to remove a useless motherboard and so forth from it ;) and
put the drives in there. Then get one of those internal-to-external
adapter plates and an internal SCSI cable for the tower, put it in one
of the empty slots, and you're good to go. (I recommend the new-fangled
twisted-flat cables that are rated for U160 or U320, even though you're
not going to run those speeds; I've had the best results with them.)