problem - postnuke and e107

i'm having problems getting either postnuke or e107 working. first here's the
relevant version info:

Linux greenfs 2.4.22 #1 Wed Nov 19 13:13:23 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux
apache 1.3.29-1 installed: No available version in archive
php4 4:4.3.3-4 installed: No available version in archive
mysql-server/testing uptodate 4.0.16-2
postnuke/testing uptodate 0.723-4.2

ok, now during the postnuke install, it sets up the databse correctly. i have
verified this with phpmyadmin. but when i go to http://localhost/postnuke i
get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in /usr/share/
postnuke/pnadodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 170

i don't get it...

and with e107, the install hangs just after selecting English as the language.
The mysql database doesn't get set up. I'm using the latest version of e107.

thanks in advance for any help,
Zack Cerza