internal computer temperatures

I stuck the remote probe from an indoor/outdoor thermometer onto the heat sync
of my CPU.  It usually reads about 107, but occasionally will go up to 112.
Are these temperatures OK?  This is an Athlon XP2400. Unfortunately I can't
get lmsensors  to talk to my motherboard (Asus A7V8X) to get the real
temperatures.

Background info: I am trying to reduce the noise from that computer.  I was
going to replace the fan in the front of the computer case with a low-noise,
variable speed one, but first I wanted to see how it would work with no fan
there at all, and covering up the hole.

I already have an Enermax power supply that is supposed to change fan speeds
with temperature, and the motherboard I have is also supposed to change fan
speeds with temperature. I'm not convinced that either is working right.
Note that the case front fan had the large standard PS Molex connecter, not
the little motherboard connector, so that didn't help the front fan.

I am also going to try putting a blanket on the wall behind the rack.  I
already tried taping a washcloth to the inside of the side panel, and that
seems to have cut down on some of the noise.

PS- This is a very nice motherboard, but it's Linux compatability has been
lower than it should have been based on my research before I bought it.  I
might entertain a swap for another board that would take the same CPU/Memory
with fewer on-board features.  It's got 6 USB2.0, firewire, sound, 100MB
ethernet, IR, Serial ATA, etc.  I really want USB2.0 and firewire, but
couldn't care less about built-in ethernet and sound.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD     "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
DKK D      or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not
DK KD      only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
DDDD       American public."                              Theodore Roosevelt