running 2 site on one apache - need help

 Dave,

   Try setting the different host names on the VirtualHost line rather than the
IP address. I have three aliases in my host file & local dns that all point to
the same address, and here's what works for me:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.12

<VirtualHost setanta.home.davegavin.com>
        ServerName  setanta.home.davegavin.com
        HostNameLookups off
        ErrorLog logs/setanta-error_log
        CustomLog logs/setanta-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost loghost.home.davegavin.com>
        ServerName  loghost.home.davegavin.com
        HostNameLookups off
        DocumentRoot /var/www/loghost
        ErrorLog logs/loghost-error_log
        CustomLog logs/loghost-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost mailhost.home.davegavin.com>
        ServerName  mailhost.home.davegavin.com
        HostNameLookups off
        DocumentRoot /var/www/mailhost
        ErrorLog logs/mailhost-error_log
        CustomLog logs/mailhost-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

 The first VirtualHost gets the default DocumentRoot as one isn't spec'ed and
each virtualhost's has it's own log. I think that you have to use the
"HostNameLookups off" to keep the three aliases straight as all three names
resolve to the 192.168.1.12.

HTH,
Dave Gavin